When I arrived back yesterday evening I spent a short time catching up with email etc. and noticed that the performance of my link seemed vary good. On checking my router config this morning I note that the free upgrade to ADSL has been implemented which is great news. I did a speed test to compare to the performance I was getting prior to upgrade. Here are the results.
As you can see it is better than the test published in my last post. I am coming to the view that it is necessary appreciate the importance of the term ‘up to’ when reading about ADSL services. The service I have now is ‘up to 8 Meg’ so the 1915 kb/s and 379 kb/s I see in the test must be acceptable. I can certainly feel the difference between this service and my previous service.
I decided to do some more reading into the issue of backhaul from the local Exchange, I found the following interesting reading.
I have been monitoring my home ADSL account over this weekend. The results I have been seeing are fairly good ( my service is a 2 Meg service)
See an example of the result from the test I did a few minutes ago!
I am now getting even more concerned about the performance on my daughters broadband connection! I am now beginning to wander if there is a fault on her line (but I have done checks which seem to indicate that her line is clean) – or that it is simply the affect of congestion which is causing her problem. Her service is on 50 : 1 contention ration and I expect that it just may be the case that there people in her part of the country are making very good use of their service which would lead to poorer performance for all. Strange that ADSL leads to a point where if it is being well used by the users who are contending for a particular service that everyone would receive a much poorer performance.
I noticed that my home ISP has now advertised an 8 Meg service at no additional cost. I have decided to apply for the upgrade and will be closely monitoring the situation once it has been applied.